At NNL, we have more than 20 years' experience providing a professional remote engineering service. Our waste retrieval service is focused on the design and development of equipment and processes for the recovery, handling, treatment and storage of radioactive wastes.
We also design, manufacture and operate inactive test rigs and mock ups. These provide customers with proof of principle for the operation of equipment and processes in an inactive environment, prior to deployment in an active nuclear plant. The use of inactive rigs can be even extended to include the training of customers' personnel prior to plant deployment.
Our dedicated team of experts are based at NNL's Workington Laboratory, providing these and a range of additional services in engineering support.
Key Service Areas
- Design and development of: engineered mechanical and hydraulic retrieval systems
- Waste sampling and characterisation systems
- Engineered waste process systems
NNL's experience and expertise includes the design and development of a number of engineered systems, including:
- Pond liquor and sludge samplers
- Process decanter - in-cave eductor systems
- Sludge retrieval and transportation - eductor development
- Silo ullage hydrogen monitoring systems
- Process development for the Hot Isostatic Press (HIP) test rig
- Waste screening and mixing test rigs
- Waste size reduction technologies
- Development of sonar for underwater viewing systems
- Remote coupon drilling of magnox skips for characterisation
Stephen Shackleford, Business Leader
t: 01946 779296
m: 07738 694680