Jonathan Hyde joined the nuclear industry in 1995 after completing a postdoctoral fellowship at the University of Oxford and working as a visiting research scientist at Oak Ridge National Laboratory. He has since worked for UKAEA, AEA Technology and the National Nuclear Laboratory, taking on a number of roles including R&D and management. He is currently both Chief Technology Officer for the Reactor and Operations Support business and a Laboratory Fellow in Nuclear Materials.
In addition he is a Senior Visiting Fellow at the University of Oxford and a Visiting Professor for the Dalton Nuclear Institute at the University of Manchester. He has published more than 80 papers.
Key Areas of Expertise
Jonathan is an expert on characterising the microstructure of materials and developing mechanistic understanding of radiation damage. He is active in expert peer review groups and is the Nuclear Science representative on the Diamond Industrial Science Committee (DISCo) which provides advice to the UK Diamond synchrotron facility. He is also secretary of the UK Radiation Embrittlement Forum (UKREF) and Technical Area Co-ordinator (TAC) for the International Group on Radiation Damage Mechanisms (IGRDM).
Jonathan’s achievements include:
- Developing many of the statistical techniques now routinely used worldwide to analyse data from Atom Probe Tomography
- Promoting the use of a combination of microstructural techniques to underpin mechanistic understanding of the degradation of materials which led to several international research programmes
- Introducing an annual award within NNL – the Lawrence Medal - for the Best External Scientific/Technical (BEST) Publication
Key Positions held
- 2000 – 2007, 2010 – 2014: Team Leader and then Business Manager
- 2012 – present: Chief Technologist and Laboratory Fellow
- 1997 – present: Technical Area Co-ordinator (TAC) for the microstructure section of the International Group on Radiation Damage Mechanisms (IGRDM)
- 2007 – present: Wolfson Industrial Fellow & then Senior Visiting Fellow, University of Oxford
- 2012 – present: Visiting Professor at the University of Manchester, School of Materials
- M.K. Miller, J.M. Hyde, M.G. Hetherington, A. Cerezo, G.D.W. Smith and C.M. Elliott, Spinodal decomposition in Fe-Cr alloys: Experimental study at the atomic level and comparison with computer models. I. Introduction and methodology. Acta. Metallurgica. . 43 (1995) 3385.
- J.M. Hyde and C.A. English, ‘An Analysis of the Structure of Irradiation induced Cu-enriched Clusters in Low and High Nickel Welds’, Symposium R ‘Microstructural processes in irradiated materials’, Fall MRS November 2000, R6.6
- E.A. Marquis and J.M. Hyde, "Atomic Scale Analysis of Solute Behaviours by Atom-Probe Tomography", Materials Science and Engineering R:Reports, volume 69, issues 4-5, July 2010, pp. 37-62
- J.M. Hyde, M.G. Burke, B. Gault, D.W. Saxey, P. Styman, K.B. Wilford, T.J. Williams, Atom probe tomography of reactor pressure vessel steels: An analysis of data integrity, Ultramicroscopy 111, 676-682, 2011.
- C.A. English and J.M. Hyde, 'Radiation Damage of Reactor Pressure Vessel Steels", Comprehensive Nuclear Material, Elsevier, Ed. R. Konings, 2012, ISBN: 9780080560274.
- J.M. Hyde and C.A. Engish, “Microstructural Characterisation Techniques for Mechanistic Understanding of Irradiation Damage”, in “Irradiation Embrittlement of Reactor Pressure Vessels (RPVs) in Nuclear Power Plants“, Woodhead Publishing Series in Energy: Number 26, 2014 (pp. 211-294) ISBN978-1-84569-967-3
- J.M. Hyde, M.G. Burke, G.D.W. Smith, P. Styman, H. Swan, K. Wilford, “Uncertainties and assumptions associated with APT and SANS characterisation of irradiation damage in RPV Steels”, Journal of Nuclear Materials 449 (2014) 308–314
- P. D. Styman, J. M. Hyde, D. Parfitt, K. Wilford, M.G. Burke, C.A. English and P. Efsing, “Post-Irradiation Annealing of Ni-Mn-Si-Enriched Clusters in a Neutron-Irradiated RPV Steel Using Atom Probe Tomography”, J. Nuc. Materials, Volume 459, April 2015, Pages 127–134
- R.M. Boothby, J.M. Hyde, H. Swan, D. Parfitt, K. Wilford and P. Lindner, “SANS Examination of Irradiated RPV Steel Welds during In-situ Annealing”, Journal of Nuclear Materials 461, 45-50, 2015